Skip to main content

Hurricane Business Emergency Coordination Center Information & FAQ

With the hurricane season upon us, be sure you have everything prepared before the storm. CLICK HERE for the business preparedness guide.

CLICK HERE For OPEN Business List
The Chamber of Commerce of Cape Coral and City of Cape Coral have created the Business Emergency Coordination Center to better communicate with our local businesses.
Submit Your Business Status Report
Submit A Question or Update Request

Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Flyer
Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Website
Small Business Administration (SBA) Website
Small Business Disaster Assistance

To ensure your eligibility for any available Hurricane Ian relief, tell the Lee County Property Appraisers Office about your property damage by using this hurricane reporting link. You can also directly upload photos and other information on their website.
Your Tax Roll Value Letter is now available: Use the Quick Search on to find your parcel and select Parcel Details from the links on the search results page. From the Property Data page, create the Letter using the link in the Current Working Values section.

How to Apply for FEMA Assistance
–> View Citizenship and FEMA Eligibility
–> View FEMA Disaster Assistance Information
–> Visit FEMA Website

The City of Cape Coral advises residents who own a home built before 1981 not to make repairs until December 1, 2022. The 50% Rule, a regulation of the National Flood Insurance Program, requires structures with damage exceeding 50% of their market value to be rebuilt consistent with the current flood elevation and Florida Building Code. The city doesn’t want residents to pay additional costs to repair structures before determining whether it has received 50% or more damage. Cape Coral’s City Council is expediting the approval of an ordinance that may remove regulations, to make it easier on the homeowner when determining calculations for the 50% Rule. FOR MORE INFO:



IEDC Restore Your Economy WEBSITE
There are a wide variety of resources available on this site.  However, it is highly recommend watching the Hurricane Recovery Webinar that was recorded on August 31, 2022.  Florida’s own Tiffany Garling gave an in-depth report about her challenges in Jackson County following Hurricane Michael, including many issues that will likely arise across the state in the coming weeks.
In the wake of a hurricane, updates will be made with recovery programs and resources as they become available.  Information will be pushed out to ensure that all of you have the best information to make recovery decisions for your business and the community.

Roadmap to Federal Resources for Disaster Recovery Guide The guide is useful for common challenges about all recovery efforts, and it lists the 10 most common economic recovery challenges beginning on page 9. 

Governor Ron DeSantis Activates the Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Program, Making $50 Million Available – At Least $10 Million of Which Must Go to Assist Agricultural Businesses Impacted by Hurricane Ian

Visit for updates.

Household garbage and recycling services have resumed. The City’s contracted debris removal company is collecting hurricane debris.

Commercial businesses, Industrial parks, golf courses, commercial cemeteries, gated communities, apartments, condominiums, churches and mobile home parks are considered commercial property with respect to Hurricane Ian debris removal. It is assumed and expected that these commercial enterprises retain insurance that can and will cover the cost of their own debris removal. However, in some cases as determined by FEMA, commercial property may be eligible for FEMA debris removal by applying with the state.

For assistance with the state application or for general questions, please visit FDEM’s Hurricane Ian Debris Cleanup website or call FDEM’s Hurricane Ian Debris Cleanup Hotline at 850-961-2002 or email [email protected].

– If you have damage between your electrical pole and home (e.g., riser, weather head), an electrical inspection is needed for power restoration. Email [email protected] or [email protected].
– Inspection Hotline: (239) 574-0555

Visit the Parks & Recreation home page to see the latest list of what’s open and what’s temporarily closed during a storm.

– National Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990.
– NAMI Helpline: 1-800-950-6264 or text 9-8-8.
– United Way: Call 2-1-1.

– Call (850) 488-5600, Mon-Fri, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
– The public can report vessels on Florida waters that are displaced or damaged by calling this FWC hotline.
– Callers should be prepared to provide the vessel’s registration number, current location, and detailed description.

Call the Crisis Cleanup Ian Hotline at 800-451-1954

* If you want to volunteer, contact the Red Cross, Volunteer Florida, CORE, Crisis Relief and Recovery, Disaster Aid USA, Crisis Cleanup, or the United Way at 2-1-1.
* Become a Debris Removal Contractor – Contact Ceres Environmental at or 1-800-218-4424 or Tetra Tech at or call 866-960-2325, option 2.

Residents should contact their Internet providers with questions on service updates.
Comcast: 800-934-6489
CenturyLink: 800-201-4099
Quantum Fiber: 833-250-6306


Who is taking care of the trees down on residential developed property? 
It is the responsibility of the property owner to place all hurricane related debris at the curb to be picked-up by the debris removal contractor. Volunteer or non-profit organizations may be able to assist property owners with debris removal.

Who is taking care of the trees down on residential vacant property/vacant lots?
The property owner is responsible to coordinate the placement of all hurricane related debris at the curb to be picked-up by the debris removal contractor. If debris is not removed in a reasonable time the City will remove the debris and bill the property owner.

Who is taking care of the trees down on commercial property?
It is the responsibility of the property owner/site manager to dispose of its debris. FEMA will not reimburse the City for this removal. Will debris be removed from the City’s 400 miles of canals? Debris will be removed from the canals by the City; however, priority is given to clearing debris from roadways. Further information will follow on canal debris removal. Please call 311 to report any debris in the canals.

Will debris be removed from the City’s 400 miles of canals?
Debris will be removed from the canals by the City; however, priority is given to clearing debris from roadways. Further information will follow canal debris removal. Please call 311 to report any debris in the canals.


Will Waste Pro pick up my trash if I do not have a bin due to the Hurricane?
Waste Pro will pick up trash that is in plastic bags and is placed at the curb on the appropriate trash pickup day.

What day will they be picking up my trash?
Residential service picking up household trash only based on the normal service schedule.

How do I get a replacement trash and/or recycle bin?
If your cart/bin went missing due to the storm, please report this to 311. A new cart will be delivered by Waste Pro staff as soon as possible.


I think my seawall is damaged and/or is collapsing who should I call?
The maintenance and repair of a seawall is the responsibility of the homeowner. If a resident has an outflow pipe to a canal in/near their seawall they are asked to call 311 and report it to the City.

What should I do if I see a stop sign, street sign or channel marker damaged or missing?
Report the issue to 311.

I live out of town and cannot reach a family member. Can someone check on her to make sure she is okay?
Please call the Police Department’s non-emergency number at (239) 574-3223.

I have a winter home in Cape Coral but live out of state. Who do I call to have someone check the condition of my house?
Please call the Police Department’s non-emergency number at (239) 574-3223.

How am I advised if I need to boil water?
The City utilizes several methods to communicate boil water notices. Please visit the following link: .WbmWn2epW70  

For wastewater/sewer backups who should I call?
Call 311.  

How can I get potable water if my well isn’t working?
The City is providing free potable water at two locations for Lee County residents; Mariner Middle School and the Northwest Regional Library. Locations are open Tuesday from 4:30 p.m. until 8 p.m. and Wed through Sunday 8 a.m. through 8 p.m.

I need assistance clearing my private property can someone help me?
Residents can call the United Way at 211 or DisasterAssistance.Gov. For residents who do not have internet access they can call 800-621-FEMA.

Want to help?

We request for safety and efficiency that those who are interested in volunteering to contact the United Way by calling 2-1-1 or (239) 433-3000 to coordinate efforts.

Need help?
If you need assistance with damage from Hurricane Ian, call (800) 451-1954. Crisis Cleanup will connect you with volunteers who may be able to assist.


*Turn off the breaker. If you have a roof leak, TURN OFF your circuit breaker even if you have no power. When the power is eventually restored, this could cause a fire for underlying electrical issues.


*Do not “back feed” power. You MUST have a dedicated outlet for your generator. It would be best if you were not back-feeding to a breaker manually. A licensed electrician must properly install your outlet and breaker. If it is not, it causes the potential to back feed, causing significant hazards.

What is back-feeding? Back feeding is tying a portable generator directly to your home’s electrical panel instead of using a transfer switch. It is dangerous, often illegal, and it should never be attempted under any circumstance. Back feeding will put you and others, including utility workers, at serious risk for electrocution and/or electrical fire.

*Be aware of hazards. Awareness is key to safe generator use. Common hazards include shocks and electrocution from incorrect use, carbon monoxide (CO) from a generator’s exhaust, fires from improper refueling or fuel storage, and noise/vibration hazards.

*Proper ventilation is key. Do not use a gasoline-powered generator within 20 feet of any window, door, or vent. Don’t run a generator in a garage, even with the door open.

*Stay Grounded. Always follow the owner’s manual instructions on how to “ground” the generator.

*Keep generators dry and clear of debris. Clear 3 to 4 feet around the generator to create airflow space to avoid a fire. Never run generators in the rain or when wet. Place the generator in a dry area or under an open canopy structure.

*Avoid electrical hazards. Plug appliances directly into the generator. If you must use an extension cord, it should be 3-pronged, grounded, heavy-duty, and labeled for outdoor use.

*Organize your cords. Keep cords out of the way but in plain view to avoid slips, trips, and falls. Check cords regularly for damage (such as cuts or fraying) that could cause a fire.

*Hot. Hot. Hot. Even if operated for a short time, generator exteriors can quickly become hot. If you must touch the generator, wear protective gear. To avoid electric shock or electrocution, do not try to fix or work on a generator while it is on or plugged in.

*Be prepared and aware. Always keep a fully charged fire extinguisher nearby. If you or others show symptoms of CO poisoning – light-headedness, dizziness, tiredness, or nausea – go outside immediately for fresh air, and seek medical attention.

Stay current with the Cape Coral Business Community. Sign up for our e-newsletter today.